- Start with bottled water and BYOB – why pay for something that comes out of the sky (and your tap) for free?
- Reduce wasteful bottle consumption – opt for beverages in glass bottles, cartons or cans
- DIY fizz – revisit the 80’s and make your own new wave of sparkling water!
- Support Container Deposit Schemes – these initiatives have been proven to reduce plastic containers entering the marine environment by 40%
- Get your friends, relatives, school or workplace to join in – when we work together everything is possible
- #byob – sharing is caring
Say NO thanks to plastic bottles
Bottled water pervades our daily lives so much that it’s hard to escape. Out on a hot day or grabbing lunch on the go? That ubiquitous bottle of water is never far away. Plastic bottles are a major source of marine pollution, contribute to reef-threatening climate change in their production, and allow large corporations to profit from a free resource! It’s time to break our addiction.
The big picture
Every minute, 1.2 million single-use plastic bottles are bought around the world, equivalent to 7.9 million kgs of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere every hour.
Plastics: the Reef triple-threat
- Marine pollution: marine life is killed by entanglement or ingesting plastic pieces
- Climate change: its energy intensive production generates climate-warming emissions
- Disease: coral-destroying diseases embedded in plastic are carried across the ocean
Bringing your own bottle could save hundreds of plastic bottles from landfill every year, so imagine the collective impact of thousands of Citizens uniting across the planet! The momentum is building and businesses around the world are already committing to a plastic-free future. Let’s send a clear message to decision makers - join the plastic revolution or get left behind.
Spread the word
We would love to see what you’re doing, so don’t forget to #citizensGBR and #uniteforthereef alongside the snaps of you bicep-curling that beautiful un-bottled beverage towards your mouth. Posting about your efforts isn't bragging – you’re helping to grow our community and champion positive impact for the Reef.