- Commit to bringing your own reusable bags – leave some by your door, in your car, or anywhere they'll come in handy!
- Say no to unnecessary bagging – your bananas come naturally pre-packaged
- Ask your local cafe or corner store to switch to paper bags – the cool kids are already doing it
- Get your friends, relatives, school or workplace to join in – when we work together everything is possible
- #banishthebag – sharing is caring
It's time to ditch plastic bags for good.
Of all the plastic entering our marine environment, plastic bags are arguably the worst. Their use is so ingrained in today’s society that most are used for mere seconds before being thrown away. Millions of seabirds and mammals are killed every year by plastic bag entanglement or ingestion (in the ocean those sneaky bags look like yummy jellyfish). Not only do they kill marine life, their production releases billions of kgs of CO2 into the atmosphere every year. This fuels climate change which directly threatens the Reef - so let’s ditch them for good.
The big picture
Each year, people around the world use around 1 TRILLION plastic bags. Their production requires enough energy to power Greater New York City for about 3 months and contributes to over 30 billion kgs of CO2 entering our atmosphere every year.
The plastic triple threat to the Reef
- Marine pollution: marine life is killed by entanglement or ingesting plastic pieces
- Climate change: its energy intensive production generates climate-warming emissions
- Disease: coral-destroying diseases embedded in plastic are carried across the ocean
By joining our action, you’re personally saving hundreds (even thousands) of plastic bags from entering the environment - now imagine the collective impact of thousands of Citizens uniting to BYOB! The good news is that governments and businesses around the world are taking note, with many already committing to a plastic bag-free future. Let’s send a clear message to decision makers - plastic bags have no place in today’s society.
Spread the word
We would love to see what you’re doing, so don’t forget to #citizensGBR and #uniteforthereef alongside the snaps of your cool new canvas carry-all! Posting about your efforts isn't bragging – you’re helping to grow our community and champion positive impact for the Reef.